News Tour About Media Store Contact Friends Billy's Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Shows

Today's Question:

"how many songs have you written for acoustic guitar that you perform?

do you usually play by yourself, just with a guitar & singing? how often are you play with a back-up band, with drums & bass etc.?"


I just looked at my iPod and apparently I have 101 demos. Some of these are probably duplicates and some are likely songs that ended up being Billy and the Lost Boys songs but at any rate, I really only play about 10 of them live!

I've been playing shows with a band lately but it really all depends on the show. Last Thursday at the Hotel Cafe I did the first half of the set by myself (which allows me to play songs that are new or that I don't have recordings of) then the band came and joined in for the rest. I've been super fortunate to play with some uber talented musicians lately...it sure adds a lot to the live sound to have a great backup band. I like the idea of playing a bit alone and then adding musicians. Sonically it changes things up and if people aren't really in to one, hopefully they will be in to the other.

On Thursday, Randy (who has payed with the likes of Ringo Starr, Dave Stewart, Chantal Kreviazuk, Kelly Clarkson, Five For Fighting and Raine Maida's solo project) played a cajone (this cool box thing you sit on) and a bunch of percussion stuff...he has a tambourine hooked up to a kick pedal so he can be playing a beat on the cajone, shaking a shaker, and then on the backbeat hit the tambo. It's super cool! Andrew Doolittle played some ambient guitar stuff (what I like to call Whale Sounds) and Joe Karnes from Pedestrian was on bass this time around. My last show at Hotel Cafe we had Ben Peeler from the Wallflower/Jakob Dylan on guitar and Eric Holden from Five For Fighting and Josh Groban on bass. When in Vancouver, I try to steal Sarah Mclachlan's band. If they're not around to do it I just play by myself ;)

Random Fact of the Day: I feel as if my best songs were the result of not writing anything down or picking up an instrument. I would just have something stuck in my head and make up words as the day passed. By the time I picked up a guitar, I already knew how the song went and just had to figure out how to play it.

Bowling at Pinz:

3 View / Post Comments:

Zimmy said...

that is awesome that you get so much support from other musicians ... this may seem like a dumb question but do you have to pay them?

billythekid said...

Sometimes :) Sometimes people are ok to just hang out and play some tunes, sometimes you offer them a beer or whatnot...certain people make their living off playing so they'll ask for a little something, even just gas or whatever. Most take in to consideration that I'm indie...thank goodness :)

Zimmy said...

well, that is an awesome amount of support!